After 4 journeys to Costa Rica, I’ve realized two issues: one, my hair NEVER appears to be like good within the jungle; and two, there are just a few important items of journey gear that may show you how to totally embrace the idea of “Pura Vida” … and stop you from spending your total journey scratching bug bites whereas parked below your resort room’s A/C.
Our Costa Rica packing listing will cowl the specifics of what to convey and why, however we’re not going to let you know, like, precisely how pairs of underwear to pack – we belief you may determine that out by yourself. (Rule of thumb: one per day of your journey.)
As an alternative, we’re specializing in the precise stuff you’ll must make your journey to Costa Rica as fantastic and memorable as doable, so that you don’t look again and cringe since you received a horrible ear an infection and spent the remainder of your trip depressing. (Why sure: that’s how I spent the second half of my third journey to Costa Rica.)
On this important Costa Rica packing listing, we’re together with all the pieces it’s essential convey to remain cool, snug, bug-bite-free and blissfully un-sunburnt. Let’s go!
Want some assist packing on your subsequent journey? We’ve created 5 FREE Printable Packing Lists with all the pieces it’s essential plan your subsequent journey. We’ll additionally ship our favourite journey ideas straight to your inbox! Simply join beneath.
Psst: Searching for extra journey ideas? Try a few of our different useful posts!
What to Pack for Costa Rica
What to Pack Stuff In
Positive, you may get away with a suitcase stuffed with bunched-up garments, however you’ll be a lot happier with well-organized baggage – particularly in the event you’re touring for an extended time frame or visiting a number of locations!
Unpacking and re-packing each few days is such a chore, and staying organized will make it a LOT much less depressing.
Right here’s what to pack your stuff in so that you keep organized and may simply transfer from place to put.
- Carry-On Baggage: For many journeys, you’ll need to pack carry-on solely to economize and problem. You don’t need to be lugging an enormous suitcase down a dust street from the bus station and up 3 flights of stairs! For suitcases, we’re big followers of Away carry-on luggage (we additionally love this inexpensive Away dupe). For those who desire a sturdy backpack, Lia swears by this PacSafe backpack. It’s snug, roomy, and theft deterrent – it’s Lia’s go-to backpack for carry-on journey.
- Packing Cubes: We LOVE packing cubes. Nothing makes unpacking your stuff and placing it away once more simpler than packing cubes. To not point out it retains you organized – and sane. Even in the event you aren’t a packing dice convert, we suggest rolling your clothes quite than folding it, which saves area and in addition helps forestall wrinkles. Win-win!
- Laundry Bag, Toiletry Bag, & Shoe Bag: While you’re touring, something inside your baggage is gonna get throughout all the pieces else. So we maintain them separate utilizing totally different luggage (plus packing cubes for our clothes). Our laundry goes in a laundry bag so it doesn’t get moldy or odor up our clear garments. The footwear we aren’t sporting match into a little bit shoe bag so we don’t get no matter we’re strolling by way of throughout our stuff (gross). And this hanging toiletry bag retains our belongings protected against leaks, spills, or moisture. FWIW, we’ve tried utilizing plastic luggage – however they tear actually simply and are rather a lot tougher to interchange whereas touring than you’d suppose! Plus, re-usable luggage are additionally extra earth pleasant.
- Day Bag: We sometimes every carry a day bag on journeys. This cute backpack is ideal for some snacks, a few jackets, a travel umbrella, cameras, telephones, and no matter we’d like for the day. It additionally doubles as our lockable carry-on valuables bag whereas on transit, which is essential for security (by no means let your passport, digicam, or laptop computer out of your sight on journey days)! For extra energetic days, we pack up a Camelbak Hydration Pack that matches 70oz of water along with all our gear. It’s good for hikes or exploring on sizzling days whenever you’ll want to remain additional hydrated!
What to Put on in Costa Rica
After we pack for Costa Rica, we’re often aiming for consolation above cuteness – however I do wish to sneak in a little bit of each every time I can!
OK hear, I’m simply gonna be actual with you: my main objective for my clothes in Costa Rica is to maintain me from drowning in sweat (or no less than, assist me cool off rapidly if/when I’m inevitably sweaty). Second precedence, odor (no thanks). Third precedence, truly trying cute.
One other main problem is to pack for a wide range of actions and temperatures. On most up-to-date journey, we wanted to pack clothes for rain, the cool mountain air of Monteverde, the new tropical rainforests of Manuel Antonio and Corcovado, mountain climbing, and snorkeling/diving/swimming.
Some days, we dressed for a hike or horseback trip, become beachwear midway by way of, dried off, after which put our previous clothes on. So all of our clothes wanted to be very quick-dry and packable too (as a result of nothing makes a hike or horseback trip extra depressing than a large, heavy backpack).
However it may be achieved! We’ve received just a few essential solutions which might be as much as the challenges of Costa Rica, and sure, a few of them are even cute.
Right here’s one of the best clothes to pack on your journey (for women and men, and everybody in between)!
- Wool Clothes: Sure, critically. Merino wool is a miracle journey material. It retains you cool when it’s sizzling AND retains you heat when it’s chilly. When it will get moist, you’ll keep snug whereas your clothes dries. It naturally resists the expansion of fungus and micro organism, so it by no means stinks – essential for journey! It’s even flame retardant. What extra might you ask for? Right this moment’s efficiency wool isn’t just like the itchy wool of the previous – it’s skinny, stretchy, and tremendous mushy to the contact, like cotton. We extremely suggest wool clothes for journey. Right here’s what we introduced:
- Hemp Clothes: Very like merino wool, hemp is a incredible journey textile. It’s additionally temperature regulating, which means it’s cool to the contact and retains you cool when it’s sizzling (but additionally insulates you when it’s chilly out). It’s additionally naturally anti-bacterial, so that you received’t get that pungent “I’ve been sweating on this for per week straight” odor. And as an enormous bonus, hemp is extra sustainable than most different textiles, requiring little water and nearly no pesticides to thrive and develop. Hemp is even in a position to clear up polluted soil, making it a device for truly preventing towards local weather change. Hell yeah! As a result of it’s not an excellent well-liked textile (but), it’s a little bit laborious to seek out. Considered one of our favourite eco-friendly clothes manufacturers, prAna, makes a fantastic hemp line – browse women’s and men’s. (Lia loves this comfy t-shirt!)
- Fast Drying Shorts (His & Hers): We’re obsessive about the Zion line from prAna, which is what our favoite mountain climbing pants are constructed from. These shorts are constructed from the identical stretchy, high-tech, quick-drying material! Jeremy’s shorts double as each the shorts he wears on daily basis and a swimsuit. They’re a 2-for-1 (which implies much less area in your carry-on) they usually look nice, too! They dry rapidly, making them good for hopping out and in of waterfalls, rivers, and the ocean after which resuming your regular journey actions.
- Climbing & Journey Journey Pants (His & Hers): You’re going to wish a pair of pants that serve a number of functions and are up for journey anyplace: seashore, jungle, river, mountains, and metropolis. Fortunately, these superior prAna mountain climbing pants have been designed with journey and mountain climbing in thoughts and have been as much as each problem we threw at them. They’re additionally quick-dry, so I even wore them whereas white-water rafting and waterfall rappelling in San Gil.
- Breezy, comfy everyday pants: Permit me to introduce you to the right sizzling climate journey pants! I found these wonderful pants at Outdated Navy whereas searching for my journey, and it was love at first try-on. They’re SUPER light-weight and take up little or no suitcase area when rolled up. They’re snug and stretchy, quick-drying, and simply the fitting size. And so they’re cute as hell! I purchased a bunch of differet colours as a result of typically stuff goes out of inventory and by no means comes again, and I want these pants. (I additionally love these pants, constructed from the identical material however with vertical zippers, which can be tremendous journey pleasant. And so they are available in a wider vary of sizes as much as 4X.)
Word: We didn’t listing out all the pieces right here, so ensure you pack loads of fundamentals! Normally, for warm climate I actually love cotton/cotton blends and linen, along with hemp and merino.
The Greatest Sneakers to Pack for Costa Rica
From mountain climbing within the cloud forests of Monteverde to canyoning and white-water-rafting in La Fortuna to exploring town streets of San Jose, we had all kinds of actions deliberate for our journey to Costa Rica.
Fortunately, we introduced alongside 3 good pairs of footwear that have been up for all the pieces!
Listed here are the three important footwear we suggest bringing with you in your journey:
- Climbing Sneakers: For those who’ll be going mountain climbing like we did, we suggest a pair of light-weight path runners (His & Hers). They’re light-weight, breathe properly, and have insane grip. They have been made for operating on mud, dust, and gravel, so their high quality is unimaginable. Additionally due to that, they’re good mountain climbing footwear. So no, you don’t must stuff your heavy mountain climbing boots in your baggage!
- Teva Sandals (his & hers): When it’s sizzling, we just about put on these footwear every time we’re not mountain climbing. Not solely are the snug and rugged sufficient to stroll for miles snug (sure, you may even hike in them!) however in addition they double as water shoes. They are saying strapped tightly to your toes within the water and are good for journey sports activities like canyoning or rafting. Plus, they’re light-weight, sturdy, and cute!
- AllBirds Slip-On Sneakers (His & hers): For days whenever you don’t need to put on your mountain climbing footwear or your sandals, these are the right on a regular basis journey shoe. They’re light-weight and breathable, good for warm climate – and the only is constructed from merino, which implies it takes rather a lot for them to get smelly and also you don’t must put on them with socks! These are the footwear we sometimes put on on metropolis days and journey days.
With these three footwear stuffed into your suitcase (don’t fear, they’ll match) you’ll be greater than lined for all of your adventures!
What to Pack for Rain in Costa Rica
We booked our most up-to-date journey to Costa Rica in July, which falls squarely in the course of Costa Rica’s wet season. However don’t fear: all meaning is that it’s just about assured to rain as soon as per day, particularly within the jungle or the rainforest.
For those who’re ready, rain on a visit is not any massive deal (and actually, we love a very good excuse to take a seat indoors and do nothing however chill out and hearken to the rain).
For those who’re not ready, it may be tremendous irritating, inflicting you to cancel enjoyable actions and even smelling up your bag with moist clothes. Yikes!
Listed here are the three necessities you’ll need to convey to organize for rain:
- Extremely-Gentle Rain Jackets (His & Hers): Our favourite rain jackets are a number of the finest jackets for journey. They’re ultralight and pack down into nothing in order that they’re simple to hold round in our day luggage every day simply in case, they usually’re extremely water repellant.
- Travel Umbrella: This teeny travel umbrella is extremely light-weight, teeny tiny, and even has a helpful carrying case in case it’s essential fold it up and shove it again in your bag. Regardless of its small measurement, it does its job nicely, and it dries rapidly when it’s achieved! That mentioned, it’s not like .. essentially the most STURDY umbrella – tremendous excessive winds will certainly flip it inside out. However we adore it as a result of it’s so small and light-weight that we simply go away it completely in our day bag and neglect it’s there till we’d like it, and we’re at all times glad to seek out it once more!
- Waterproof Socks: For those who’ll be mountain climbing in rain or mud, you’ll need to pack a pair of those so that you’re not squelching round all day lengthy. We don’t carry cumbersome mountain climbing boots with us, so these are welcome boost to our path runners.
Simply maintain these 3 rain necessities in your day bag every day, and also you’ll by no means be caught unprepared in a rainstorm!
Important Toiletries for Costa Rica
There’s a sure glow that we get in Costa Rica, and it’s not simply because we’re sweaty and well-moisturized. Perhaps it’s one thing about waking up early, or consuming fruit all day, or respiration within the humid tropical air – ah, no, that’s it. Humidity: one thing we don’t have in California!
The minute we disembark into the nice and cozy air of Costa Rica, my hair will get curlier, my pores and skin feels smoother, and I lose any want to put on make-up at some stage in our journey. (And that’s coming from me, who as soon as wore a full face of make-up in the arctic.)
However you’ll nonetheless must convey alongside just a few issues to maintain you clear and feelin’ contemporary!
Listed here are our ideas for doing all of your laundry on the go, staying contemporary ~down there, and all the pieces else you’ll must not appear like a sizzling mess.
- Travel Toilet Paper Roll & Hand Sanitizer: I do know, this can be a bizarre one- however the factor is, rest room paper and cleaning soap aren’t at all times out there they usually aren’t at all times free. So I at all times have an emergency roll on me. You may convey an everyday sized roll and stuff it into your bag, or you may simply get a little bit travel sized dispenser that’s a lot smaller and simpler to make use of on the go. Additionally, at all times convey some hand sanitizer with you – you may convey cleaning soap too, however hand sanitizer is far simpler to hold round than a moist bar of cleaning soap.
- Face Wash & Moisturizer: Journey is absolutely laborious in your pores and skin! It’s vital to clean off a full day of sweat, salt, sand, fumes, dust, and no matter else you’ve received happening each night time earlier than you fall asleep, after which moisturize to replenish your pores and skin’s pure barrier. (If all else fails, no less than convey alongside some baby wipes, which was the whole thing of my skincare routine proper up till I turned 30.)
- Shampoo & Conditioner: Carry your individual shampoo & condtioner in travel-sized bottles to economize, reduce down on plastic waste from these little hotel-sized samples, and shield your hair. We love utilizing solid shampoo and conditioner bars: they’re tremendous journey pleasant, good for the atmosphere (no plastic waste!) and received’t ever spill throughout your stuff.
- Menstrual Cup: Yup, vag issues. Skip this paragraph if pure processes of ladies’s our bodies make you uncomfortable. Pads and tampons are laborious to return by whenever you’re touring, they usually’re usually costly. Plus they take up a bunch of area… to not point out they’re not environmentally pleasant. So I’ve given up totally on pads and tampons and totally embraced cup life. And it’s incredible! No extra leakage, which implies much less sink laundry. I can go away the cup in for a full day (or extra) with out having to fret about poisonous shock syndrome or no matter. And holding your cup clear is simple: simply wash the cup with common cleaning soap and water. I spritz it with a little bit apple cider vinegar as nicely, and a few girls boil theirs each few months. I maintain mine in a little bit drawstring bag tucked into my toiletry bag – no fuss, no mess, no environmentally dangerous waste. Oh, and don’t fear, they’re truly very easy to place in. For those who’re contemplating making the change, do it!
- Laundry Soap: Truthfully, most hostels we’ve stayed in provide laundry service. However we nonetheless like having the choice to do our personal laundry every time
we have towe run out of underwear (ahem). You don’t really want particular cleaning soap; common sturdy castile cleaning soap works nice. We like Dr. Bronner’s or biodegradable laundry wash. Simply cleaning soap your stuff up within the sink or within the bathe and hold it up within the solar to dry!
For extra particulars and solutions, resembling my curly hair journey routine, my favourite skincare stuff, and one of the best lipstick for
the arctic journey, head over to my makeup & beauty for travel guide!
Swimming & Snorkeling Necessities for Costa Rica
Let me simply get this out of the way in which: the water in Costa Rica is PERFECT and bathwater-warm on BOTH coasts. Coming to Costa Rica from Northern California, I’m at all times so offended that this is identical Pacific Ocean that we are able to’t even log on in with out a full wetsuit. However I digress.
Whether or not you’re recognizing tropical fish on a snorkeling journey or simply listening to macaws cry to 1 one other (fwiw, that is what macaws appears like: WHAAAAAT?) you’re gonna need to go within the water in Costa Rica, like, as a lot as humanly doable.
There are just a few important items of substances you’ll need to convey to maintain your self – and your underwater mates – protected and completely happy.
Right here’s what to pack for swimming and snorkeling:
- Reef-Safe Sunscreen: Going into the ocean? It’s essential put on reef-safe sunscreen. Until you hate coral, fish, and in addition all of human life. Reef-safe sunscreen is designed to biodegrade and never hurt ocean life. Regular sunscreen bleaches coral and ensures humanity’s swift loss of life from local weather change. So please, for the love of society’s inevitable collapse, put on reef-safe sunscreen in the event you’re going into the ocean! Word that though reef-safe sunscreen is at all times mineral, not all mineral sunscreens are reef-safe. Sunscreen should use “non-nano zinc oxide” particles to be reef protected(more details here). That is my favorite reef-safe sunscreen, and I exploit this lightweight sunscreen on my face.
- Rash Guard/Swim Shirt: I’m gonna be sincere with you: reef protected sunscreen shouldn’t be the best to use. It’s thick and doesn’t soak in simply. However like, I like animals and the atmosphere. So my resolution is definitely to cowl up my pores and skin as a lot as doable so I don’t HAVE to put on sunscreen. Win/win! Positive, you might need to showcase your tremendous cute swimsuit, however after sufficient terrible sunburns after hours of completely happy swimming or snorkeling, I’ve realized my lesson. I extremely suggest bringing alongside a long-sleeved rash guard, which is specifically designed for swimming in salt water. It feels the identical as swimsuit materials, dries rapidly, and provides you loads of solar safety (additionally safety from stinging bits of jellyfish floating by within the water. Yup, I communicate from expertise).
- Swim Leggings: My butt is at all times the very first thing to burn after I’m snorkeling. However swim leggings present full-coverage solar safety whereas letting you progress underwater with out restriction. Fast-drying swim leggings are designed to carry up in saltwater and chlorine and dry rapidly when you’re out of the water (they’re additionally extremely snug to stroll in, and stop the dreaded post-swim chub rub). I like Waterlust’s swim leggings line as a result of the model is tremendous sustainable and helps conservation and anti-racism initiatives, plus their leggings are 100% chlorine, solar, saltwater and sunscreen resistant and constructed from recycled supplies. Oh, and their leggings have POCKETS! Sizes go as much as 3XL. For extra particulars, head over to the full review of my swim leggings!
- Snorkel Mask & Fins: For years every time we traveled to a snorkel-tastic vacation spot, we at all times wished we’d introduced our personal snorkel gear. We have been so envious of these individuals who rolled as much as the boat like “oh, we don’t want rental gear, we have now our personal.” Each time I met somebody with their very own gear on a tour I used to be like oh, you should be an professional – right here, you go first. They most likely received higher footage simply because we have been intimidated. Snorkels equal energy. Anyway, then we purchased our personal gear, and I used to be like … why did we wait so lengthy to do that?! Positive, my snorkel mask could look ridiculous, however I guarentee you it’s higher than something you’re going to get from a tour firm!
- Anti-Fog Spray: Even in the event you don’t convey your individual snorkel gear, no less than convey your individual anti-fog resolution. Each time we lease snorkel gear, we find yourself surfacing to furiously spit in our masks ever 10 minutes. So annoying! Slightly bottle of this can prevent a LOT of irritation.
- Water Shoes: For each minute that you simply’re not sporting flippers, you’ll need to be sporting water shoes. I swear by my trusty leather-based Tevas, and Jeremy additionally likes basic close-toed water shoes.
- Dry Bag: Don’t set foot on a ship with out placing your stuff in a dry bag, simply in case. You by no means know when a wave/rogue sea lion goes to splash your sh*t. This one is superb, with a mesh part within the entrance that we use for moist bathing fits or towels. Plus, it comes with a cellphone protector too, so you may put on & use your cellphone safely whereas white-water rafting, kayaking, or snorkeling!
- Travel Towel: Towels should not sometimes supplied on snorkelling excursions, so we at all times convey our personal full-sized, quick-drying travel towel.
Seashore Necessities for Costa Rica
From the white sand in Manuel Antonio Nationwide Park to volcanic rocks on the Osa Peninsula and the darkish sand seashores of Tortuguero, Costa Rica has loads of seashores to frolic on, lapped by splendidly heat water. And there’s often a turtle or macaw close by, too, as a result of Costa Rica is principally paradise.
Right here’s what to pack in your baggage to convey with you to the seashore:
- Several Swimsuits: There’s a very good likelihood you’ll be leaping into the water on daily basis, so that you’ll need to convey alongside a number of pairs of swimsuits so that you at all times have one thing dry to placed on! I’m a measurement 16/18, and my favourite swimsuit is this one, which I actually have in 3 totally different colours. It’s wonderful. It’s good. It’s a freakin’ steal! I additionally love this swimsuit, and that is my favourite one piece. For extra swimsuit picks, take a look at my information to swimsuits for curvy girls.
- Travel Towel: There’s completely no assure that the towels at your accomodation are going to suit round your waist. Frankly, they not often match round my left thigh. Plus, they’re heavy and hulking and you may get in bother for bringing them out of the resort. So simply to be protected, I at all times convey my very own travel-friendly, light-weight, quick-drying travel towel!
- Travel Clothesline: Newsflash: your resort’s moist, darkish toilet is absolutely the WORST place to hold your clothes as much as dry. As an alternative, hold this tiny travel clothesline up someplace that will get loads of airflow and solar, like on a curtain rod in entrance of the window! Your moist swimsuit and travel towel will likely be dry very quickly.
- Sand Repelling Beach Mat: I hate sand SO MUCH and this mat is made with magical sand-repelling qualities. If sand doesn’t make you need to go dwell in an igloo ceaselessly, you may at all times simply use your towel as a mat as a substitute!
On seashore days, we pack up our day bag with all of our seashore gear and a full bottle of chilly water to remain hydrated (our insulated water bottle retains water chilly for an unbelievably very long time). And naturally, tons and lot of sunscreen – don’t neglect to re-apply!
For extra beachy packing ideas and curvy-girl particular solutions (ahem: do you might have chafe balm but??) head over to our beach vacation packing guide!
What to Pack for the Solar in Costa Rica
Costa Rica is simply 675 miles north of the equator, which implies the solar might be a LOT stronger than you’re used to again house! So solar safety is absolutely, REALLY vital to guard your pores and skin. You’ll be doing your self a favor in the long term, and moreover – unhealthy sunburns are trip ruining.
Listed here are the necessities to convey with you in your journey to guard you from the solar:
- Reef-Safe Sunscreen: Going into the ocean? It’s essential put on reef-safe sunscreen. Until you hate coral, fish, and in addition all of human life. Reef-safe sunscreen is designed to biodegrade and never hurt ocean life. Regular sunscreen bleaches coral and ensures humanity’s swift loss of life from local weather change. So please, for the love of society’s inevitable collapse, put on reef-safe sunscreen in the event you’re going into the ocean! As a enjoyable bonus incentive, it’s truly required by regulation in Hawai‘i. Though reef-safe sunscreen is at all times mineral, not all mineral sunscreens are reef-safe! Sunscreen should use “non-nano zinc oxide” particles to be reef protected (more details here). That is my favorite reef-safe sunscreen, and I exploit this lightweight sunscreen from Sephora on my face.
- Mineral Sunscreen: That is the least dangerous sort of sunscreen, in response to science. Mineral sunscreens use two pure minerals—zinc oxide and titanium dioxide—as energetic elements. They principally merely sit on prime of your pores and skin and shield it by bodily reflecting away UV rays, like tiny little mirrors. In the meantime, common chemical sunscreen soaks into your pores and skin and results in your bloodstream (and breast milk, in response to this study) which squicks me out. Mineral sunscreens don’t soak into your pores and skin (in response to this study). So despite the fact that mineral sunscreens can really feel a bit heavier than chemical sunscreens, I desire to make use of them anyway! I exploit this one for my physique, and for my face (which is extra delicate) I exploit this lightweight mineral sunscreen.
- Mineral Sunscreen Lip Balm: Don’t neglect to guard the fragile pores and skin in your lips from sunburn, too!
- Sun Hat: Who says solar safety isn’t cute? This snug hat protects your face, neck, and chest from the solar and goes with each outfit. The adjustable band across the rim ensures that this hat will suit your head completely, and the neck wire means you may put on it even when it’s windy! That is my go-to on a regular basis hat.
Along with on a regular basis solar safety, you’ll need to take additional care on days you’ll be spending extra time than ordinary out on the water, like on a snorkeling or kayaking tour and even simply whenever you’ll be swimming within the warmth of the afternoon solar.
I’m an enormous fan of sporting swim garments to guard your pores and skin and reduce down on the quantity of sunscreen you’ll want to make use of! I extremely suggest bringing alongside a long-sleeved rash guard and a pair of swim leggings for solar safety throughout water sports activities.
Keep in mind: the extra your physique is roofed, the higher you’ll be protected against the solar, and the extra environmentally pleasant your seashore trip will likely be! Psst: For extra eco-friendly and accountable journey ideas, head over to our Ethical Travel Guide.
- Journey Tip: In case you DO get sunburnt, a bottle of aloe vera will assist. However a good higher sunburn remedy? Apple cider vinegar! It smells horrible nevertheless it works miracles to take the sting out of a nasty burn and velocity up the therapeutic course of. Plus, it doesn’t really feel sticky and gross in your pores and skin. I convey a little spray bottle stuffed with ACV on each seashore journey.
What to Pack to Keep away from Bug Bites in Costa Rica
Nothing ruins a visit like a sleepless night time spent frantically attempting to disregard your itchy legs. Or worse, mosquito-bite-induced Dengue fever, which Jeremy caught in Panama as soon as (yeah, it sucked).
However the place there are lovely locations ready to be explored, there are bugs! So we’ve realized to make our peace with them – by way of using extraordinarily efficient bug repellants. We completely swear by these 2 important bug repellants, and we not often get bitten throughout our journey!
Right here’s what you’ll want to inform mosquitos to again the f*** up throughout your journey:
- Permethrin Spray: Let me introduce you to our favourite factor ever, Permethrin Spray. It’s a bug repellent which adheres solely to materials, leaves no odor or residue on garments, and doesn’t hurt human pores and skin. Consider it like a magical, invisible armor on your entire garments! We suggest stocking up on just a few bottles earlier than your journey and spending a few days spraying down your entire clothes, paying particular consideration to hems, cuffs, and socks (and extra-special consideration to no matter you’ll be sleeping in). Be sure to do it exterior, maintain pets away, and put on a masks, as a result of no one desires to inhale chemical compounds (which, incidnetally, is why I hate aerosol bug sprays). Permethrin spray lasts for as much as 6 machine washes, however … nicely, we don’t wash our garments fairly often on trip (ssh, don’t decide). Now you’ll solely must concentrate on masking your pores and skin with bug repellant, which brings us to …
- Insect Repellant Lotion: Most insect repellents should not definitely worth the disagreeable oily feeling you get after making use of them, the icky hacking cough you develop after spraying them, or that skin-burning feeling you get after making use of 100000% chemical compounds to your pores and skin. There’s, nevertheless, one insect repellant that avoids these pitfalls, and it’s this wonderful lightweight Picaridin lotion. You rub it into your pores and skin and it absorbs loopy quick with no oily residue. It lasts all day and the protection is wonderful. It doesn’t odor disgusting, leaves no sticky or oily residue, and it’s by no means made my pores and skin burn. I adore it, I swear by it, and sure, we positively hoard it in 1-gallon jugs. That is certainly one of our tried and examined journey necessities, and we sometimes get a LOT fewer bites than our journey companions! Decide up a few travel-sized 2oz bottles of lotion to absorb your stick with it baggage, or go all out on the quart or gallon-sized dispenser and replenish some empty bottles like us!
What to Pack to Keep Wholesome in Costa Rica
Right here’s the excellent news: Costa Rica has incredible healthcare, which Lia was unlucky sufficient to experience first hand. It’s additionally a really clear nation: there are ample sinks for hand-washing all over the place (thanks, pandemic, for that addition), faucet water is drinkable in many of the nation, you don’t really want to fret about meals preparation, and also you’re by no means very removed from a pharmacia or physician.
Each toilet we’ve visited in Costa Rica has been clear and sanitary, and usually talking it’s been fairly simple to remain wholesome on all of our journeys to Costa Rica. With one notable exception, which is that each Lia AND her dad received terrible ear infections from river water – 20 years aside! The complete story is in this post.
Right here’s the not-as-good information: you’re nonetheless touring, which implies exposing your physique to new issues, a few of which it could not like. Like, in Lia’s case, her ears (and her dad’s ears) REALLY don’t just like the river water in Costa Rica!
Relying on where you’re visiting, you might also must be barely nervous about malaria. And in the event you didn’t take our recommendation about bug repellants, you’ll need to fear about dengue fever, zika, and another stuff – here’s the full list per the CDC. Most dangers in Costa Rica are bug chunk associated, so scroll again up in the event you skipped that part!
However there actually, Costa Rica is a reasonably simple place to remain wholesome! Simply drink loads of tropical fruit batidos, get a number of sleep, prevent bug bites, and chill out. Pura vida!
Listed here are the necessities to pack to maintain you feeling clear, wholesome, and completely happy.
- Dramamine: Dramamine is our lifeline. Lia will get movement sick simply by pondering too laborious about it. So on journey days or anytime that we’ll be boarding a airplane, prepare, bus, or boat, she pops a non-drowsy Dramamine and stays nausea free all day lengthy!
- Vaccinations: You might want some vaccinations earlier than you permit, like Yellow Fever and Tetanus. All the time verify the CDC recommendations for the precise areas you’ll be visiting to see what you may want earlier than your journey, and make an appointment together with your physician (or go to a journey clinic) prematurely!
- Anti-Diarheals: Traveler’s diarrhea is, annoyingly, quite common. Imodium is crucial to have available when touring, and we additionally swear by DiaResQ. Most different primary first help will most likely be fairly simple to seek out in the event you want it!
- Stomach Enzymes: I’ve an simply upset abdomen. My physique doesn’t like dairy …or gluten …or corn… or salt … something processed … something scrumptious…. FML. However it’s actually troublesome to manage what’s in your meals whereas touring, and typically the one factor that’s out there is one thing that my abdomen received’t like. So I at all times convey alongside my trusty abdomen enzymes. They comprise the issues my abdomen appears to lack to assist it break down the weather in varied meals and digest them. Since taking abdomen enzymes I’ve drastically diminished situations of heartburn or indigestion, and seen an enormous improve in my well being from the extra available vitamins that my abdomen is now in a position to unpack and make the most of! These are a lifesaver for me whereas touring.
- Reusable Water Bottle: Hydration is essential when touring! However please don’t purchase a plastic water bottle on daily basis of your journey – that’s horrible for the atmosphere! We suggest bringing alongside an insulated water bottle that retains water chilly all day lengthy.
- Lifestraw Water Bottle: For those who’ll be venturing to someplace locations the place the faucet water is a little bit iffy, you’ll need to convey alongside this water bottle with a built-in Lifestraw. It helps you to drink water proper from the faucet, or a unclean puddle, or wherever else you’re feeling prefer it – all completely filtered and protected.
- Ear Plugs: Lia has extremely delicate ears. Loud noises (like boat motors, or planes) give her tinnitus, and river water the flawed manner will give her an ear an infection. So she at all times brings alongside
What to Pack to Keep Protected in Costa Rica
Though Costa Rica is usually a reasonably protected nation to go to, you’ll need to take some primary precautions to maintain your self protected, significantly in a giant metropolis like San Jose.
We’re extremely accident-prone, so we’re additional cautious to maintain ourselves protected and stop theft – we’ve received an entire submit in regards to the security precautions we at all times take when touring: read it here.
One of the vital vital issues we’ve realized is that traveler’s insurance coverage is a must have for journey security! It protects you in case of a medical emergency, theft, and even covers the price of your journey if you must cancel it or finish it early for a lined motive, like a loss of life in your rapid household or sudden sickness.
We use World Nomads journey insurance coverage for each worldwide journey and even contains excessive sports activities. We’ve needed to file a number of claims with World Nomads and suggest them based mostly on our expertise. Make sure to learn all particulars to ensure you perceive precisely what you’re paying for and how you can use it within the case of an emergency (often there’s a quantity to name or an e mail handle to contact in the event you need assistance).
Now that you simply’re typically protected, right here’s a few of our favourite security journey gear.
- Lightweight Combination Locks: These little locks are extra of a deterrent than something heavy-duty. However most informal thieves are searching for a straightforward mark: a pocket to slide their arms into rapidly, a bag left unlocked on a bus, and so forth. We lock each zipper on all of our luggage with these little locks and except for somebody operating off with our total day bag as soon as (don’t fear! We received it again!) we by no means had something stolen. Necessary aspect observe: TSA-friendly travel locks are nice for checked baggage, however for our day luggage and non-checked baggage we truly desire locks that AREN’T TSA pleasant, as a result of it’s tremendous simple to fabricate the important thing that opens EVERY TSA lock. Ahhh!
- Journey Protected Pockets: One of many greatest errors you can also make whereas touring is carrying a pockets, particularly in your again pocket. For any run-of-the-mill pickpocket, that’s the primary place to look. Some individuals say put your pockets in your entrance pocket, however why danger it? As an alternative, we decide to put on two totally different sorts of journey protected wallets: a money belt for Jeremy and a bra pocket (AKA Brocket) for Lia. We even have a zippered passport pocket that may maintain a cellphone too, which we solely actually wanted on journey days. And we’ve every received an emergency stash of money and playing cards that stays buried in our backpacks protected and sound in our resort or hostel, in case we’re robbed whereas out and about.
Journey Tech to Pack for Costa Rica
As journey bloggers and part-time digital nomads, we convey much more gear than is important on journeys (here’s what we actually bring, in the event you’re curious). The overwhelming majority of individuals merely don’t must schlep alongside a tripod and two Macbook Professionals!
There are just a few techy journey necessities that we do suggest bringing alongside to maintain you linked and … taking footage and stuff. Right here’s all of the journey tech to convey with you in your journey:
- Binoculars: The best little tech gear you’ll ever neglect to convey alongside! We’re infamous for leaving our binoculars at house after which spending our entire journey like “is that an animal? I can’t actually inform from right here …” Don’t be us! Stick some travel-friendly binoculars into your day-bag and simply go away them there.
- External Battery: There’s no feeling worse than not realizing the place you’re or with the ability to communicate the native language, and watching your cellphone battery fade into nothingness. Positive, vacationers sans cellphones have been most likely hardier, however personally, I’m nearly at all times misplaced (even at house). I RELY on my cellphone, and the detailed travel planning documents and offline maps I maintain saved in it to assist me orient myself. So bringing alongside a robust exterior battery is a should every time I journey. This one fees my cellphone like 5x earlier than I must recharge it, which is nice as a result of my goldfish reminiscence can be unhealthy at remembering to maintain issues charged! This smaller version is much more travel-friendly.
- Travel-Friendly Laptop: Our beloved little Chromebook was as soon as our main journey laptop computer. It’s able to something you want whereas on the street – sure, even managing a weblog (as long as you don’t want advanced stuff like Photoshop)! I truly began and ran the weblog on this factor for a full yr and a half. It’s tremendous light-weight and extremely quick. Positive, you want Wi-Fi for many of its functionality, however we by no means have points discovering Wi-Fi (GOOD Wi-Fi was extra of a problem). Plus, it’s comparatively cheap, so that you don’t should be as afraid of it getting damaged or stolen – and if it does, your entire stuff is already safely backed up on the Cloud. I as soon as had my Chromebook stolen (within the USA). The thief was so upset with it that they really introduced it again to the place they’d taken it. I used to be thrilled – and I’d already added a brand new one to my Amazon cart!
- GoPro: You didn’t come all this option to NOT get underwater footage of your self residing your finest mermaid life, did you?? You gotta have a GoPro! They’re arms down one of the best digicam for capturing footage underwater. Simply ensure you additionally choose up the Standard Housing, the waterproof case that you simply’ll positively want earlier than you go underwater! For a extra budget-friendly possibility, this waterproof action camera may also do the trick.
- Travel Friendly Camera: Though our digicam of alternative is a hefty, skilled stage Sony A7R II, you don’t want all that to get nice pictures of your trip. If you wish to take issues up a notch out of your cellphone (otherwise you’d quite maintain your cellphone tucked safely away)we extremely suggest bringing alongside a journey pleasant pocket-sized Canon Powershot, which seems deceptively low cost and old style to potential thieves however truly takes AMAZING pictures. That is what we used earlier than we ultimately upgraded to a dear DSLR. For sweeping panorama pictures, a GoPro (or this cheaper equivalant) is a superb alternative. Simply ensure you convey alongside a reminiscence card!
- Solar Powered Flashlight: This flashlight is superior, and tremendous helpful for locating the lavatory or navigating at night time. You’ll by no means want batteris and also you’ll at all times have a little bit gentle whenever you want it. We maintain ours clipped onto the skin of our backpacks so it’s charging every time we’re exterior. Environmentally pleasant AND handy!
- e-Reader or Kindle: There’s nothing higher than spending an entire, luxurious afternoon laying in a hammock studying a extremely good e book. However books are heavy and take up loads of area in your baggage, so we desire e-readers! Our Kindle Fireplace is our fixed journey companion on planes and in hostels. (Besides we solely have one, so we’re continually preventing over it.)
Whew, that’s all the pieces! Do you might have any questions on what to pack for Costa Rica? Drop us a remark beneath!
Psst: Searching for extra journey ideas? Try a few of our different useful posts!