Please double test what’s open earlier than your journey and observe all native vax & masks tips to maintain your self and others secure! Additionally, adverts are how we pay our payments and hold our weblog free so that you can take pleasure in. We additionally use affiliate hyperlinks; for those who make a purchase order by them, we might obtain a small fee without charge to you.
Volcanoes and sizzling spring rivers. Misty cloud forests. Howler monkeys swinging by the treetops. White sand seashores. Costa Rica is a tropical, eco-friendly paradise, full of colourful wildlife and plush forest canopies simply ready to be explored on ziplines and hanging bridges and vibrant coral reefs teeming with marine life.
Over the various journeys we’ve taken and the weeks we’ve spent backpacking by this stunning nation, we’ve realized a couple of issues. Like that you just want REALLY good bug repellant (I swear by this mixed with this). Or that there are a LOT of things nobody tells you about Costa Rica.
And eventually, we’ve mixed all of our experiences into one epic route that visits all of our favourite locations: the last word Costa Rica two week itinerary! You’ll be visiting visiting three nationwide parks; mountain climbing in cloud forests, rainforests and jungles; snorkeling and swimming in crystalline waters; traversing the tree cover on ziplines and hanging bridges; exploring volcanoes, canyons, sizzling springs and rivers; and befriending sloths, monkeys, macaws, toucans, and extra. And for those who’re something like us, you’ll in all probability be reserving your subsequent journey to Costa Rica as quickly as you come back dwelling once more.
Able to dive in? Pura Vida!
Psst: Take a look at a few of our different posts earlier than your journey:
Want some assist packing? We’ve created a FREE Printable Packing Checklist with every thing you have to plan your journey to Costa Rica. We’ll additionally ship you ideas that will help you put together in your journey! Simply enroll beneath.
Costa Rica 2 Week Itinerary Abstract
The route you’ll be taking over this Costa Rica itinerary is San José > La Fortuna > Monteverde > Manuel Antonio > Corcovado > San José
Right here’s the route damaged out by days:
- Day 1, San Jose to La Fortuna
- Day 2 & 3, La Fortuna
- Day 4, Journey to Monteverde
- Day 5 & 6, Monteverde
- Day 7, Journey from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio
- Day 8 & 9, Manuel Antonio
- Day 10, Manuel Antonio to Drake Bay
- Day 11 & 12, Drake Bay
- Day 13 & 14, Drake Bay to San Jose and fly dwelling
Notes and Ideas
- In case your arrival flight lands within the night, you have to lose a day someplace – or fly again from Drake Bay and take a night flight dwelling.
- If you wish to add additional time to one of many locations within the itinerary, you would go to Manuel Antonio for only one full day moderately than two, particularly for those who get an early begin within the morning.
- You’ll word we don’t have you ever spending a lot time in San Jose. We’ve now been to Costa Rica a number of instances and the town simply isn’t essentially the most thrilling half in regards to the journey.
Costa Rica Itinerary: Issues to Know
- This itinerary combines a number of journeys we’ve taken over time. You’ll be visiting La Fortuna (together with Arenal Volcano Nationwide Park), Monteverde, Manuel Antonio Nationwide Park, Corcovado Nationwide Park, and San José. Sure, y’all: that’s THREE of Costa Rica’s gorgeous nationwide parks in ONE epic itinerary.
- This Costa Rica itinerary focuses on the Pacific facet of the nation – there aren’t any Caribbean-side locations. That stated, you may be visiting two phenomenal snorkeling/swimming locations with heat, clear blue water!
- You do NOT must lease a automobile. Buses and van shuttles join all around the nation for a low worth, though they’ve very particular schedules or run sometimes. Many of the shuttles on this itinerary are bookable on-line upfront by Bookaway or different on-line tour operators, and lots of will embody direct resort pickup and drop-off. In contrast to many locations, the worth to e book on-line upfront would be the identical as the worth you’d pay in particular person to e book final minute, so we strongly suggest reserving all your transit upfront! We’ve included particulars about how you can get to every cease all through the itinerary.
- It’s useful to talk Spanish, however English talking is frequent. You gained’t have a lot problem speaking within the places on this itinerary – the tourism trade is strong and most tour guides, resort workers, and bus drivers will converse some English. That stated, studying some Spanish is all the time useful – to not point out well mannered!
Two Weeks in Costa Rica
Visiting Costa Rica makes you need to get a “pura vida” tattoo and a lifetime provide of salsa lizano – it’s a tough place to depart.
Which is why I’ve been again 4 instances! The primary time I visited Costa Rica with my household, I used to be simply 8 years previous and in absolute awe. I’d by no means imagined a spot like this might actually exist – it was a literal paradise, full of journey and toucans and monkeys and orchids. I bear in mind galloping on horseback alongside the seaside, kayaking by rapids on a river, chewing sticks of recent sugarcane, befriending a child squirrel monkey, and plucking a candy starfruit from a tree. Our household journey was full of wildlife and journey, which cemented a lot of what would later turn out to be my most well-liked journey fashion.
And on the 4 subsequent journeys to Costa Rica I’ve taken over time, my awe has by no means gone away: Costa Rica is really some of the stunning locations on earth.
As an grownup, I do know that Costa Rica’s pure magnificence is rigorously maintained, because of complete and conscientious sustainability insurance policies: Costa Rica is without doubt one of the world leaders in ethical and sustainable tourism. So whereas it’s not as low-cost of a vacation spot to go to as most of its Central American neighbors, for me, that additional price is value it as a result of I do know that my presence as a vacationer shouldn’t be negatively impacting native communities or wildlife!
With out additional ado, let’s bounce into the Costa Rica 2 week itinerary.
Day 1: San José to La Fortuna
I’m gonna be sincere right here: San José is the least thrilling a part of this Costa Rica itinerary. Once we go to Costa Rica, we just about bounce as quickly as we hit the tarmac – though to be truthful, we are inclined to choose smaller cities and extra rustic locations to large cities as a rule.
If you happen to like large cities greater than we do, we suggest exploring San Jose on the finish of your journey, whenever you’ll have a while to kill earlier than your flight.
So, the primary day of your itinerary is definitely a journey day: you’ll arrive in San Jose after which instantly hop on a bus or shuttle and head to La Fortuna!
Examine into Hotel Los Lagos Spa & Resort, positioned only a few miles outdoors of the city middle. With a number of hot-spring-fed swimming pools and a shocking mirador looking to Arenal Volcano, this surprisingly budget-friendly resort is an absolute dream and the right place to base your self for the following 2 days of journey in La Fortuna.
- The way to Get to San Jose: There are two airports you possibly can fly into: Liberia and San Jose. We suggest San Jose. If you happen to can, attempt to arrive within the morning: most flights from the West Coast are red-eyes, which means you’ll be sleeping on the aircraft (our lengthy haul flights packing record will assist with that). The sooner you arrive, the sooner you will get to La Fortuna, and also you may have the ability to squeeze in a day/night exercise in your first day!
- The place to Keep in San Jose: Severely, don’t spend the evening in San Jose. Adventures in La Fortuna are ready for you! But when your flight arrives late and you have to spend the evening in San Jose earlier than flying out, we suggest reserving considered one of these budget-friendly apartments in downtown San Jose.
- The way to Get to La Fortuna: A bus or shuttle from San Jose to La Fortuna takes about 3 hours. There are many choices obtainable on Bookaway – decide a time that works together with your arriving flight.
- The place to Keep in La Fortuna: Hotel Los Lagos Spa & Resort has a number of on-site sizzling spring-fed swimming pools and a shocking view of Arenal Volcano.
Day 2 & 3: La Fortuna
Pure sizzling springs, forest canopies full of wildlife, lively volcanoes, and gushing rivers and waterfalls: welcome to La Fortuna, aka Arenal. Surrounded by a lush jungle, and positioned on the base of two volcanoes – Arenal Volcano, which remains to be lively, and Chato Volcano, which is dormant – this little city is the gateway to the Arenal Volcano Nationwide Park and is named Costa Rica’s greatest journey city!
An journey city is basically a spot the place you are able to do a bunch of journey journey actions, like white water rafting, ziplining and cover excursions, canyoning, horseback using, and extra – and La Fortuna (and Arenal, which is what number of guests discuss with the final space) has all of it. Along with exploring the jungles and canopies, because of the thermal exercise coming from the volcano, the world can be stuffed with thermal sizzling springs – and one sizzling spring river.
If you happen to got here to Costa Rica on the lookout for journey and wildlife (and, in fact, you probably did, proper?), you’ll be off to an excellent begin right here.
We suggest spending 2 full days in La Fortuna. The best way we sometimes construction our days in journey cities is with one adrenaline-rush, high-intensity exercise and one much less exhausting, extra stress-free exercise every day – say, canopying within the morning and a soothing river safari within the afternoon. So, you must have the ability to decide 2-4 actions to fill your days in La Fortuna.
Beneath are the perfect issues to do in La Fortuna:
You wouldn’t assume mountain climbing is a high-octane journey exercise, would you? Properly, we disagree: this 6-hour tour additionally consists of 3 of La Fortuna’s greatest sights in a single actually epic day. You’ll hike by the jungle, scramble up lava rocks on a volcano, cross hanging bridges throughout forest canopies, go swimming on the gorgeous La Fortuna waterfall, and finish your day with a cocktail in a pure sizzling spring (which is by the way the one factor you’ll really feel like doing after a full day filled with journey).
The tour consists of transportation, lunch, a bilingual information who will each be certain that you reside and likewise assist level out wildlife within the jungle, and the aforementioned cocktail-in-the-hot-springs scenario. If you happen to’re up for the problem, that is THE tour to do throughout your journey! Be aware that it’s going to take up one full day of your keep.
Canyoning combines a bunch of various actions into one thrilling journey. Primarily, it entails going right into a canyon after which getting again out of it, by a mix of mountain climbing, rappelling, cliff diving, mountain climbing, and just about anything you possibly can consider – it’s thrilling, and Jeremy completely loves it.
He recommends this half day tour, on which you’ll trip a 4×4 into the forest, rappel down waterfalls, rock climb up a hidden rain forest canyon, and zip line throughout the canyon! Plus, the tour consists of lunch and transportation.
This Balsa River white water rafting tour covers class II and III rapids – straightforward to intermediate for those who take pleasure in white water rafting, superior for those who’re fearful of something greater than completely nonetheless water, like me.
Your guides will decide you up out of your lodging and drive about 45 minutes outdoors of city to a non-public put-in of the Balsa River, adjoining to personal restrooms and altering rooms.
You’ll study the fundamentals of white water rafting, gear up, and hop in for six miles of rolling rapids! Throughout lulls, your information will level out wildlife like monkeys, sloths, and toucans within the lush greenery alongside the river.
After your tour, you’ll eat a refreshing lunch subsequent to a stupendous waterfall and swimming gap – be at liberty to hop in and luxuriate in!
One factor to notice: I’m fairly positive I obtained an ear an infection from this river, so I might extremely suggest carrying ear plugs – as long as you’re nonetheless in a position to hear the information’s directions, in fact.
River safaris are good scaredy cats like me who simply need to be on a river with out all the terrifying bits. You’ll float down the river for about 2 hours with a wildlife information, who will assist spot toucans, sloths, caymans, kingfishers, and extra.
Your information will navigate the river utilizing poles or paddles, so you possibly can sit again and loosen up and take heed to the sounds of calling birds and buzzing bugs jungle round you and the water gliding previous you.
And, er, howler monkeys: we glided proper beneath a pack of them! They sound like Godzilla and are legitimately nerve-wracking – they gained’t like, harm you, however they’ll completely fling poo at you and make actually loud noises, which is sufficient for my nervousness to behave up. This half day tour consists of snacks and low at an area farm!
There are tons of sizzling springs to soak in round La Fortuna, starting from rustic to luxurious. Lots of them are positioned at accommodations or resorts, so you possibly can really e book lodging that comes with sizzling spring entry – or simply purchase a day go.
Tabacón River Hot Springs is fabulous however dear, round $100 for a day go that features lunch or dinner – a splurge, however a worthy splurge. However there may be additionally a free public entrance to the Tabacón River, positioned throughout from Tabacon Resort: search for a small parking zone stuffed with locals strolling all the way down to the river!
Baldi Hot Springs is sort of a sizzling spring waterpark and appears superior, however wanting on the views we have been a bit postpone … it appears a bit … er, sketch? Not tremendous clear? Not completely secure? Perhaps we have been simply being too cautious?
Anyway, this information to hot springs in La Fortuna will assist you determine the place to go!
There are a LOT extra issues to do in La Fortuna, however we’ve lower out a number of actions that you just’ll be doing in a while within the itinerary, together with Hanging Bridges and ziplining, which you’ll be doing in a cloud forest in Monteverde; and horseback using, which you’ll be doing by the jungle and on the seaside in Corcovado.
We did say this was the last word Costa Rica two week itinerary, didn’t we??
After an action-packed two days, you’ll head up into the clouds – er, cloud forest, that’s – to Monteverde!
Day 4: La Fortuna to Monteverde
Right now is a journey day: you’ll be departing La Fortuna and heading up into the mountains to close by Monteverde. However although these locations seem shut on a map, there’s a large volcano, an enormous lake, and a Nationwide Park separating them!
An Interbus direct shuttle takes about 4 hours and departs solely as soon as per day, arriving in Monteverde at midday. The shuttle will decide you up and drop you off at your lodging.
However there may be one other transit possibility which entails taking a ship throughout Lake Arenal moderately than driving round it. It cuts a few half hour off your complete transit time, plus you get a pleasant stress-free ferry boat journey to interrupt up the lengthy automobile trip!
The price is comparable for both possibility, so it actually simply comes down to non-public choice. You’ll e book the whole van-boat-van/taxi-boat-taxi transport service with a single firm. This taxi-boat-taxi transit service picks you up and drops you off at your lodging.
Journey Tip: No matter which possibility you select, there are some curvy roads on this route, and the final half of the journey is on bumpy roads winding up into the mountains. We suggest taking a non-drowsy Dramamine to assist keep away from nausea!
When you arrive, test into Camino Verde B&B. The small, budget-friendly resort provides stunning views from its outside deck: when the morning and night fog clears, you possibly can see all the way in which to the Pacific Coast, the ocean and islands on one facet, and Monteverde city on the opposite! The b&b is positioned a brief stroll into city (down a brief hill and up a brief hill).
One factor we liked about this resort was the incredible service: everybody was tremendous pleasant and accommodating, and once we checked in, the entrance desk clerk sat us down and booked us all the excursions we wished to take action our itinerary was all organized for us.
Plus, a scrumptious and filling breakfast is included every day with a number of choices like gallo pinto, scrumptious pancakes, and fruit. We might undoubtedly keep right here once more!
- The way to Get to Monteverde: There are two choices: an Interbus direct shuttle will take about 4 hours to drive round Lake Arenal, and a taxi-boat-taxi transit service will take about 3.5 hours with a ferry trip throughout the lake.
- The place to Keep in Monteverde: We suggest Camino Verde B&B, positioned a really quick stroll from city. The small, budget-friendly resort provides stunning views from its outside deck and a scrumptious breakfast is included together with your keep.
Day 5 & 6: Monteverde
Welcome to the mountains of Costa Rica! Monteverde is a high-elevation city positioned immediately on the Continental Divide amongst a dense cloud forest. The climate is way cooler than the remainder of the nation – you’ll undoubtedly need to pack some hotter layers and a rain jacket for this portion of the journey.
However taking a break from the heat of the low-elevation tropics is properly value it to discover a very completely different ecosystem in Monteverde. Inside the extremely biodiverse cloud forests orchids, ferns, and bromeliads climb up towering avocado and strangler fig timber as monkeys, sloths, hummingbirds, Quetzal birds and butterflies flit among the many treetops.
Plus, because of the dense forest cover, Monteverde is dwelling to among the longest zip strains and hanging bridges within the nation!
I’m going to out myself as a large Lord of the Rings nerd right here, however the easiest way I can describe the cloud forests of Monteverde is that it is sort of a real-life Lothlorien: image monumental hole timber hiding pure ladders, boughs laden with flowers and crops, and hanging bridges criss-crossing by a misty cover … it’s otherworldly, y’all. And if that doesn’t make you need to go, you undoubtedly want to look at LotR once more!
One of the best issues to do in Monteverde – very similar to the remainder of Costa Rica – contain wildlife and outside journey. Right here’s what we suggest throughout your two days in Monteverde:
I’ll be sincere: orchids had by no means me earlier than this journey. However the Monteverde Orchid Backyard modified my thoughts. The small backyard is packed with a really mind-blowing number of orchids that I didn’t notice existed.
We looked for teeny tiny orchids with magnifying glasses – together with the smallest orchid on this planet, which is in regards to the measurement of a freckle. We discovered orchids formed like hearts and orchids that appear to be alien squids. Do you know that vanilla is an orchid?! I didn’t. Orchids are dope, y’all!
I like to recommend making this a soothing afternoon cease in your first half-day in Monteverde, after you arrive and test into your lodging. Positioned a really quick stroll away is the perfect Tico (conventional Costa Rican) restaurant on the town, Sabor Tico – head right here for lunch or dinner!
Costa Rica invented ziplining, and whereas you are able to do it virtually wherever within the nation, it’s actually particular contained in the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve. From a shocking one-mile lengthy superman swing over the tree cover – the longest and highest zipline route in all of Latin America – to a spine-tingling Tarzan swing, that is undoubtedly not your primary zipline course.
The route is without doubt one of the longest in Costa Rica and winds by the tree cover throughout hanging bridges. (Be aware that there’s a 250lb weight restrict on the Tarzan swing. Which *ahem* means Jeremy skipped it – however nonetheless had a good time.)
Be aware that there are two essential locations to go ziplining in Monteverde, Aventura Park and Selvatura Park – we suggest Aventura.
Importantly, breeding sloths is unlawful in Costa Rica, and also you completely can not contact or work together with the sloths – so, splendidly, that is an moral animal expertise.
The Sloth Sanctuary at Selvatura Park is just one of two working in Costa Rica, and takes care of sloths that have been rescued as infants and can’t be launched again into the wild due to their dependence on people. (That is completely different from a rescue middle, which takes in injured sloths and nurses them again to well being earlier than releasing them again into the wild.)
We extremely suggest this expertise for sloth lovers like us!
Along with the sloth sanctuary (and adjoining butterfly garden), the park additionally options hanging bridges and ziplines by the Monteverde Cloud Forest tree cover.
We extremely suggest taking a self-guided stroll by the cover. You’ll be traversing a very simple to observe stone path. The route has a couple of small hills, however shouldn’t be difficult. Take it sluggish for those who’re a slower hiker (like us) – it ought to take round 1.5-2 hours for those who’re not in a rush. Apparently some individuals do it in 1 hour, although I don’t understand how.
Alongside the way in which, you’ll cross hanging bridges of various lengths spanning the treetops. For a non-adventure lover like me, the hanging bridges have been scary at first. Attempt to stroll slowly and within the very center to keep away from swinging the bridge, and maintain onto the edges. I additionally waited to begin every bridge till the ppl forward of me have been completed. However by the previous few bridges I used to be used to it and it wasn’t so scary anymore!
Deliver a pair of binoculars and hold a watch out for monkeys taking part in within the timber! In our case, we didn’t even want our binoculars: on the longest bridge, a bunch of howler monkeys popped up into the cover throughout us, munching on leaves like 2 ft away from us within the bridge, completely unbothered. So freaking cool!! We might have stayed there watching them ceaselessly.
A ticket to Selvatura Park consists of transportation from native accommodations – your lodging ought to have the ability to prepare it for you, or you possibly can e book immediately on-line on the Selvatura Website.
- Journey Tip: We made the error of heading to Selvatura on the afternoon shuttle at 2pm. However the final bus again into city is at 4:30pm. So round 4pm we have been nonetheless on hanging bridge #5 of 8 having a second with some monkeys within the treetops once we realized we have been working late. We RAN and made the bus, however we didn’t get to completely admire half of it! Give your self ample time particularly in case you are a sluggish hiker like we’re, and go away earlier within the day.
- Discover a Cloud Forest on foot
It’s one factor to expertise a cloud forest from a dangling bridge or zipline within the treetops, but it surely’s fairly one other to stroll by it on the very base of the forest. To completely admire the cloud forests, we suggest taking the time to do each.
There are a number of cloud forests and reserves you possibly can go to in Monteverde, and it’s exhausting to choose only one to go to – however time is restricted. There’s the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve and the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve (which you’ll be ziplining by at Aventura Park), the 2 hottest choices.
You possibly can even do a guided night hike in the Santa Elena Cloud Forest – evening is the time when wildlife is most lively, so that is an incredible alternative to see a very completely different facet of the forest!
After which there’s the Curicancha Reserve, a a lot smaller attraction that enables fewer individuals to go to every day. We are inclined to keep away from crowds and folks – they scare off the wildlife! But in addition sure we’re form of misanthropic like that – so we selected to go to Curicancha. We booked a guided tour by our resort with Monteverde Experts, and our naturalist information made the forest come alive as he defined the wildlife, the historical past, and identified wildlife.
One factor we liked in regards to the Curicancha Reserve is how accessible it’s: the strolling paths are good and broad, though rocky (they’re at present working to enhance oath accessibility for wheelchairs.) There are loos and benches all through, and you may even lease 4x4s so that you don’t need to stroll. The strolling itself goes slowly as you’re ceaselessly stopping to take a look at wildlife, and there are a couple of small hills, however the route could be very doable at a mild tempo even for non-hikers. Simply remember to costume for rain and dust!
- Get pleasure from native meals & espresso
Now we have a couple of recommendations for the place to eat and drink in Monteverde:
- Tree House Restaurant & Cafe: This restaurant constructed into a large ficus tree is freaking attractive. Needless to say you don’t go right here for the meals, you go for the ambiance. However nothing is sort of like eating in a tree surrounded by paintings whereas birds name and play within the branches overhead. Y’all: it’s very Lothlorien! We extremely suggest making this a cease throughout your journey.
- Cafe Monteverde is a incredible specialty espresso store on the town serving Costa Rican brews in quite a lot of preparation strategies. You can even pattern a number of completely different roasts and purchase a bag to deliver dwelling with you! This space is a espresso area, and for those who like, you possibly can even e book a coffee farm tour by the store.
- Sabor Tico: Positioned up on a hill near the Orchid Backyard, this was the perfect Costa Rican meal we ate throughout our keep in Monteverde. The parts are big, the view is gorgeous, and the meals is scrumptious. It’s a little bit of a schlep on foot, although – 10 minutes or so, however with a few quick hills – so we suggest consuming right here whenever you go to the Orchid Backyard so that you solely need to make the journey as soon as.
Day 7: Monteverde to Manuel Antonio
Right now you’ll be leaving very first thing within the morning to go about 4 hours from Monteverde to your subsequent vacation spot, Manuel Antonio, dwelling of Manuel Antonio Nationwide Park.
You’ve two choices. The simplest manner is to book an Interbus shuttle leaving at 8am. The shuttle will decide you up and drop you off proper at your lodging.
The cheaper however barely extra sophisticated possibility is to take 2 buses. First you’ll board an early morning bus from the bus station in Santa Elena to Punta Arenas. From there, you’ll take a bus to Quepos, the most important city adjoining to Manuel Antonio. From there you’ll must hail a taxi to get you to your lodging (there will probably be lots close by, and Quepos is barely about quarter-hour from Manuel Antonio). You’ll find the bus schedules and costs on Rome2Rio.
For what it’s value, we’ve discovered that the general public buses in Costa Rica are each comfy and dependable, and the bus stations are straightforward to navigate with clear signage and plenty of useful attendants, so don’t fear – even for those who aren’t acquainted with taking public transit in Costa Rica, you’ll be simply effective!
Once you arrive in Quepos, test into your lodging. We’ve stayed on the cheap however stunning Hostel Plinio twice now – every time in a non-public ensuite room, although their dorms are additionally incredible! The hostel is located up a hill with ocean views from many of the rooms, an on-site restaurant and pool, and an open-air lounge the place breakfast is served. It’s a incredible hostel!
That stated, it’s a bit removed from the principle purpose you’re within the space, Manuel Antonio Nationwide Park. Public buses heading to the park run each quarter-hour proper previous the hostel till 7:30 PM, so it’s straightforward to hop on one and take a reasonably quick, cheap trip to the park.
If you happen to’d choose to be nearer to the park and the seaside and don’t thoughts paying extra, Hotel Manuel Antonio is a good decide, strolling distance to the doorway of the Nationwide Park and throughout the road from the seaside!
- The way to Get to Manuel Antonio: You possibly can book an Interbus shuttle with resort decide up and drop-off, or take a public bus. First you’ll board an early morning bus from the bus station in Santa Elena to Punta Arenas. From there, you’ll take a bus to Quepos, then take a taxi to your lodging. You’ll find the bus schedules and costs on Rome2Rio.
- The place to Keep in Quepos: We love Hostel Plinio, a stupendous, cheap hostel a brief bus trip from the Nationwide Park. Instead, Hotel Manuel Antonio is strolling distance to the doorway of the Nationwide Park and throughout the road from the seaside.
Day 8 & 9, Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio National Park is Costa Rica’s smallest, however some of the in style – and for good purpose. With stunning seashores, well-maintained trails working by the forest and mangroves, and plentiful wildlife, the park is without doubt one of the greatest locations on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. You’re extremely prone to see Capuchin, Howler, and Squirrel Monkeys, plus sloths, iguanas, agoutis, and tons of birds!
You’ll arrive in Manuel Antonio with many of the day left to loosen up or hit the seaside. One of the best seashores on this space, in fact, are inside the Nationwide Park – however that’s a complete day exercise. Two, actually!
Right here’s what you’ll be doing in Manuel Antonio:
On the half day of your arrival, head to Playa Espadilla Norte, the seaside outdoors of the park within the city of Manuel Antonio. You’ll discover distributors on the seaside providing chair and umbrella leases, surf classes, and even meals supply. The water is fantastically heat and swimmable, and also you’ll see surfers having fun with the waves, too. Throughout from the seaside, there are many small retailers to browse for trinkets and snacks. Loosen up and luxuriate in!
Alternatively, you possibly can head to the rather more secluded (and subsequently a lot emptier) Playa Biesanz. Search for a jungle path that begins by the facet of the street near Lodge Parador. You’ll head by a small opening in a fence and down a steep hill with unfastened pebbles for about 10 minutes. When you arrive, the seaside might be all yours – properly, yours and a buzzing jungle full of monkeys, sloths, lizards, and birds, in fact.
To entry the park entrance, you’ll must stroll from the street up a rocky filth path and over a bridge. It would really feel kind of such as you’re going the mistaken manner however there are indicators directing you to the general public park entrance!
On the entrance, you’ll pay the doorway price (check the site for the present fee) and have the choice of reserving a guided tour. It prices 10,000 colones per particular person, and actually, for those who actually need to spot animals, that is your greatest probability! It’s very exhausting to identify critters with no information, and the park guides have fixed studies about the place all of the wildlife is hanging out all through the day. That stated, in case your purpose is simply to go mountain climbing and swimming, then the tour isn’t value it.
Aside from on the lookout for wildlife, there are two essential actions in Manuel Antonio: mountain climbing and swimming on the seaside!
Attending to the seaside in Manuel Antonio takes about half-hour down a large, principally flat path – the principle path within the park. Sure sections of the path additionally dovetail to boardwalks by the mangroves, which personally I discover to be much less crowded and extra scenic. (The boardwalks are a part of the El Perezoso path, and run parallel to the principle path.)
Simply up the hill from the seaside, you’ll a restaurant, altering rooms, loos, and lockers to retailer your stuff. These are the one amenities, so don’t head all the way in which down the hill to the seaside till you’re actually prepared!
The seaside is gorgeous, scenic, and heat. That stated, do watch out for excessive tides and swells.
The opposite essential exercise in Manuel Antonio is mountain climbing. The park is stuffed with trails, most of that are quick (although not essentially straightforward). Right here’s a fast information:
- La Catarata Path: Positioned near the park entrance, this medium depth .6 mile lengthy path results in a small waterfall (therefore the identify: catarata means waterfall in Spanish). Hold a watch out for frogs alongside the way in which!
- El Perezoso Path: These are the boardwalks that run parallel to the park’s essential path. Because the identify suggests, hold a watch out overhead for sloths!
- Punta Catedral Path: This mile-long path results in some of the iconic elements and scenic of the park, a excessive peak that divides the seaside outdoors the city and the park’s seaside. Though the hike is comparatively quick, it’s steep – deliver loads of water and be ready to climb! You’ll discover the trailhead on the finish of the seaside
- Playa Gemelas Path: This quick, straightforward path from the principle seaside will take you to a second seaside, Playa Gemelas. It additionally connects to the opposite trails and to the western portion of the park. Throughout low tide, you possibly can see a view of Punta Catedral on this path.
- Mirador Path: This mile-long path results in a scenic lookout of Punta Serrucho, a rocky landmark. Heads up, this path is difficult!
- Congo Path: This quick path connects Playa Gemelas and the Mirador Path and it may be used as a substitute return route.
One, another factor: there are gonna be monkeys, they usually’re gonna need your stuff. I might discourage you from bringing in any snacks or meals – the primary time we visited Manuel Antonio, we watched a monkey snatch a backpack off of somebody’s shoulder, run up a tree with it, and proceed to dig out all of her snacks!
The park has since enforced stricter laws about meals. There’s a small restaurant close to the seaside that sells sandwiches, drinks, ice cream, pastries, and souvenirs – and whether or not you deliver your individual meals or not, that is the one place that’s secure so that you can eat it. You must NEVER, EVER feed a wild animal – even inadvertently!
When it comes to what to deliver with you, you’ll desire a day bag filled with mountain climbing sneakers/sandals, a swimsuit, a towel, sunscreen, a rain jacket and travel umbrella, and bug repellant. Put on garments which can be comfy to hike in and dry shortly – we’ve obtained particular recommendations in our Costa Rica Packing List.
Aside from the nationwide park, there are a number of different issues to do in Manuel Antonio:
Costa Rica’s wildlife residents are most lively at evening, and the jungle is a completely completely different place after the solar goes down! This tour will lead you thru a close-by rainforest the place the extinct harlequin frog reappeared and was rediscovered, an thrilling scientific discovery.
Throughout your journey you might even see bats, Jesus Christ lizards, arachnids, owls, heaps and plenty of frogs, snakes and all kinds of fascinating bugs. You’ll be supplied with every thing you have to navigate safely and see wildlife with out disturbing them.
The evening stroll consists of resort pickup and drop-off in addition to a meal, and takes about 2-2.5-hours.
If you happen to’re up for locating the critters that fill the rainforest whenever you’re not wanting, remember to put on close-toed sneakers (in order to not get bitten by something). If the thought of taking a look at bugs and spiders offers you the heebie-jeebies, possibly simply skip it!
Kids Saving The Rainforest runs the one authorized rescue middle that rehabilitates wounded, sick and deserted rainforest animals on the Pacific Coast. The non-profit, positioned about quarter-hour outdoors of Quepos, protects and rehabilitates wildlife, conducts scientific analysis, and offers outreach and training about conservation and moral tourism.
The middle rescues greater than 100 animals every year, focusing totally on rehabilitating and releasing wild animals again into their habitats every time attainable.
For animals that can not be launched again into the wild, the middle has an onsite wildlife sanctuary which guests can tour. You’ll see 5 varieties of monkeys, together with Spider Monkeys, White Confronted Monkeys, Squirrel Monkeys, Tamarins, & Marmoset; Coatis; Two-toed sloths; Nocturnal Kinkajous (if they’re awake); and Parrots!
Be aware that you just’ll must electronic mail to make a reservation upfront in your tour – more information here.
Head out on the ocean for two.5 hour kayaking and snorkeling journey! On and off your kayak, you’ll see marine birds and their nesting grounds, parrot fish, starfish, angelfish and probably a couple of sea turtles. The tour will give you snorkeling gear, so simply deliver a towel.
I extremely suggest carrying swim leggings and a rash guard so that you don’t want to fret about sunscreen besides in your fingers, face, and ft – plus, it’s the right outfit for leaping and and out of the water!
The tour consists of pickup and drop off out of your resort and a scrumptious meal!
Manuel Antonio Nationwide Park encompasses some mangroves, however simply 10 minutes away is Damas Island, an unlimited protected mangrove forest with unbelievable biodiversity. Throughout your stress-free trip in a 12-person lined boat, you’ll wind by lush inexperienced vegetation as you information helps spot white-faced monkeys, anteaters, boa constrictors, iguanas, birds, and colourful mangrove crabs!
The tour consists of pickup and drop-off and a meal. I extremely suggest placing on loads of bug repellent for this tour, and bringing your individual pair of binoculars, since you by no means know when a critter may disappear earlier than you’ve had an opportunity to look by your information’s!
Day 10: Manuel Antonio to Drake Bay
Manuel Antonio and its neighboring city, Quepos, is simply up the Pacific coast out of your subsequent vacation spot, however you possibly can’t drive all the way in which there. Your subsequent vacation spot is, er, a bit distant. Like, on a tiny bay, on a tiny peninsula, proper subsequent to an enormous nationwide park which you could solely entry by boat. Yup: it’s superior!
From Quepos, you’ll take a shuttle to the boat dock in Sierpe. On the Sierpe boat dock, you’ll board a ferry that may take you down a river to Drake Bay and drop you off on to the dock of your subsequent lodging.
Actually, the schlep is all a part of the journey of attending to the vacation spot: the boat trip takes about an hour and travels by stunning mangroves alongside the Sierpe River, earlier than crossing over the mouth of the river connecting to the Pacific Ocean after which heading to a different, a lot smaller, river. The primary time I visited, the ferry boat was tiny – actually like, a tiny little boat with room sufficient for a cooler stuffed with Fanta, the boat captain, our baggage, and my household of 4. However extra vacationers go to the world now, and at the moment the ferry is a big, comfy boat with ample seating, loads of area for baggage, and a canopy to guard you from the solar.
Although it could sound a bit sophisticated, don’t fear – you don’t want to rearrange any of this by yourself: your lodging can set all of it up and e book it for you!
For the ultimate cease in your journey, you’ll be staying on the Aguila de Osa Rainforest Lodge, a sustainable eco-lodge on the mouth of the River Agujitas simply outdoors Corcovado Nationwide Park.
The entire rooms and the open-air lodge function sweeping views of Drake Bay and the Osa Peninsula. The lodge is a 1 minute stroll away from a small seaside, and also you’ll have the ability to e book all the excursions and actions you need immediately from the resort whenever you arrive.
Be aware that this cease on the itinerary is unquestionably the most costly, however actually? It’s an extremely worthy splurge. The lodge is like an all-inclusive resort, besides rustic and eco-friendly and sustainable. Your whole meals are included in the price of your room – breakfast, lunch, appetizers, and dinner – and have recent, regionally sourced substances, like no matter recent fish was caught by native fisherman that morning and natural greens picked from the lodge’s close by farm. Meals are served within the gorgeous, open-air nice room and are actually one of many highlights of every day.
There’s additionally no must e book any excursions upfront: your lodging will aid you plan your itinerary and e book every thing for you when you arrive.
That stated, there are cheaper locations to remain in Drake Bay (take a look here), and all the lodging within the space will supply roughly the identical tour choices. Simply don’t anticipate finding any large accommodations close by: every thing right here is small, rustic, and deep within the rainforest. If you happen to e book an lodging that doesn’t supply assist prepare transportation, you possibly can contact Transportes Alvarez to rearrange a shuttle.
- The way to Get to Drake Bay: From Quepos, you’ll take a shuttle to Sierpe. Then, you’ll board a ferry that may take you down a river to Drake Bay and drop you off on to the dock of the lodging at your subsequent cease. You must have the ability to e book every thing by your lodging, but when not, contact Transportes Alvarez to rearrange your shuttle.
- The place to Keep in Drake Bay: Aguila de Osa Rainforest Lodge is an unbelievable, sustainable eco-lodge within the rainforest overlooking the ocean – mainly, paradise! It’s a splurge, however belief us once we say that it’s a spotlight of this itinerary and properly value it. Your meals are all included.
Day 11 & 12, Drake Bay/Corcovado
It is perhaps exhausting to imagine after the adventures you’ve been having for the final two weeks, however we really saved the perfect for final. We needed to: if we put this vacation spot earlier within the itinerary, in all places else would have felt like a downer.
Corcovado Nationwide Park – dwelling to the most important rainforest in Central America – and the tiny city of Drake Bay are, fingers down, our favourite locations to go to in Costa Rica. The crystalline waters of the ocean are full of colourful coral reefs and marine life, bordered by jungle stretching all the way in which to the seaside. And subsequent to this gorgeous and distant Nationwide Park are a tiny handful of eco-lodges and resorts and the teeny tiny little city of Agujitas. It’s not the simplest place to get to, but it surely’s properly definitely worth the journey!
Personally, that is the place the place I first fell in love in Costa Rica (and with journey on the whole) on two unbelievable household holidays, a long time in the past. My dad and mom booked this superior eco-lodge within the jungle, strolling distance from the seaside. We rode horses on the sands of Corcovado Nationwide Park, snorkeled in good heat, clear blue water, and woke as much as monkeys, scarlet macaws and toucans and laughing hawks calling and taking part in outdoors the home windows of our bungalow every day. Every evening we watched the solar set from the open air lodge over dinner, and drifted off to sleep lulled by the scent of ylang ylang timber and the sound of buzzing cicadas. It was heaven.
It was such a stupendous and memorable journey for our household that my sister returned on her honeymoon … and at last, after years of telling Jeremy about this unbelievable place, we determined to make it our first journey after COVID. Why did we wait so lengthy? As a result of it’s form of a splurge, and we’re like… hostel individuals, not resort individuals. However after 2 years of being caught at dwelling, we have been able to ball. I used to be terrified that I’d constructed it up in my head, that we’d arrive and it wouldn’t be something like I remembered it.
However. Y’all. It was precisely as magical as I remembered it being! This unbelievable little place, on the foot of a river opening as much as the ocean – accessible solely by boat – is a dream. Actually: it’s the place I think about in my head after I’m attempting to go to sleep, listening to rain and jungle noises on a Spotify playlist I made for this precise goal. (Enjoyable truth: in 2020, my Spotify most performed record was actually all simply rain/jungle noises. It was a tough 12 months, okay??!)
And to not make it bizarre, however let’s simply say that I lastly sat down to write down this put up 8.5 months after our journey… and a couple of weeks earlier than welcoming a tiny new member to our household. You do the mathematics. And sure, we totally intend to deliver our little one right here and level at numerous issues and inform them it’s the place they have been conceived. As a result of what’s the level of getting a baby if to not embarrass and probably traumatize them??
Anyway. My private historical past with this place apart, you HAVE to go. I do know, it’s exhausting to get to. I do know, it’s pricier than the remainder of the locations on this itinerary. However don’t skip it! Belief us – you’ll thank me later. (Otherwise you’ll come again right here and go away me a strongly worded remark telling me about your expertise, one or the opposite. However I actually assume you’ll have an incredible time!)
Right here’s what we suggest doing throughout your keep in Drake Bay. (Be aware that many of the excursions will probably be shared with a number of native resorts/accommodations, and every thing may be booked on arrival at your lodging.)
- Snorkeling or Scuba Diving
The clear waters of Caño Island Organic Marine Reserve are an unbelievable place for each scuba diving and snorkeling. You’ll see wholesome coral reefs, faculties of vibrant tropical fish, turtles, reef sharks, and rays.
I’m a snorkeler and Jeremy is a licensed PADI scuba diver, so we cut up up for this exercise – and we have been each deeply glad with our separate experiences!
Your lodging will present all of the gear you want and e book and prepare your boat tour.
- Go on a wildlife hike in Corcovado Nationwide Park
Corcovado Nationwide Park is the crown jewel of this area, and a visit into the rainforest is a spotlight of any journey to the Osa Peninsula! Hikes start and finish at San Pedrillo, Corcovado Nationwide Park’s northernmost ranger station – however first, you need to get there by boat. The trip is about 25 minutes, and also you’ll need to put on sandals and quick-drying pants: there will probably be a moist touchdown (and it’s a little bit little bit of a nail biter – however don’t fear, your boat captain does this actually every single day).
Your naturalist information could have binoculars and can level out wildlife alongside the way in which. On our final hike in Corcovado we noticed white-faced, spider and howler monkeys, an lovable white-lipped peccary mother and child pair, scarlet macaws, and a coati.
The hike isn’t difficult when it comes to distance and is sort of flat, however it’s sizzling, humid, muddy and sweaty – deliver loads of water, put on breathable clothes, and slather on bug repellant prefer it’s your job. Halfway by your hike, you’ll go to a swimming lagoon on the base of a small waterfall to take a brief swim (so remember to put on or deliver a swimsuit!)
- Journey Tip: Put on breathable, quick-drying garments and a swimsuit, and produce each sandals and durable mountain climbing sneakers with good grip. Trekking poles are useful on muddy days, although we did with out and have been effective. A number of water, sunscreen, and bug repellent are a should as properly. And pack a light-weight rain jacket and travel umbrella simply in case – it’s known as the rainforest for a purpose!
One in every of my favourite actions in Costa Rica is horseback using, because of their very small, closer-to-the-ground-than-usual Palomino horses, that are MUCH much less scary to trip than tall thoroughbreds (or Clydesdales, which we rode precisely one time – it felt like using a T-Rex).
And it’s nice that the horses are small and mild, as a result of horseback using on this space is unquestionably extra on the adventurous facet.
You’ll trip your horse immediately by a river, on winding paths by the rainforest, and throughout the seaside – and your horse will virtually definitely break right into a trot or canter on the seaside. (For what it’s value, Palominos are the ONLY horse I’ve ever felt comfy cantering on!)
The tour supplied by Aguila de Osa ends at a waterfall and a seaside the place you possibly can swim and loosen up earlier than using again!
- Kayaking on the Agujitas River
Borrow a kayak out of your lodging and take a self-guided kayak tour at excessive tide! You possibly can head upriver deeper into the rainforest, or go away the river and head down the coast to discover sandy seashores.
Though this can be a fairly relaxed exercise, don’t get too complacent: the river can get a little bit uneven in elements and is dwelling to very small, reportedly innocent crocodiles that nonetheless scared the residing daylights out of us – particularly once we hit a few tough patches of water. (It seems that Jeremy and I are BOTH scaredy cats with regards to tiny crocodiles.)
Additionally, I wouldn’t swim within the river – and take care to not get your ears moist, both. Each my dad and I contracted gnarly ear infections (a few a long time aside) as a direct results of our ears coming into contact with river water in Costa Rica. If you happen to’re susceptible to ear infections like we’re, you may need to put on a pair of earplugs simply to be secure.
Actually, for those who’re able to not flipping your kayak, you’ll be effective… however possibly don’t do that as your very first kayaking journey ever. Let’s name this an intermediate kayaking expertise.
- Take an evening wildlife tour
Do you know that Costa Rica’s wildlife residents are most lively at evening? You may not see a lot exercise throughout the day, however you’re just about assured to see critters at evening!
Our tour was led by an area scientist, the Bug Woman. And though we didn’t journey far (many of the tour is simply on paths across the resort) we noticed a couple of snoozing sloths, a number of tree frogs, sleeping birds, moths, opossums, owls, and a bunch of fascinating bugs and arachnids!
Sure – I stated arachnids. On this tour, you’ll undoubtedly want to have the ability to admire that spiders are bros – or not less than that they’re stunning and various creatures! Probably the most memorable arachnid mates we noticed on our evening hike have been trapdoor spiders, which reside in tiny little hobbit holes. Our information gently opened a superbly hidden spherical door, and a little bit spider arm got here out and SLAMMED it shut. I’m guessing he had in all probability learn the Hobbit and knew to not let a bunch of strangers in, lest he find yourself on an extended journey with the destiny of the world resting on his tiny spider shoulders. What number of LotR references in a single weblog put up is just too many?
Anyway: for those who’re up for locating the critters that fill the rainforest whenever you’re not wanting, remember to put on close-toed sneakers (in order to not get bitten by something). And if this part gave you the heebie-jeebies, possibly simply skip this one!
San Josecito is fingers down essentially the most stunning seaside on the Osa Peninsula: image a sandy cove with splendidly swimmable water, ringed with palm timber stuffed with scarlet macaws. Many excursions cease right here at one level, however you can too hike, horseback trip, or take a ship to get right here.
If you happen to select the two.5 hour hike, you’ll discover the trailhead on the hanging bridge throughout the Rio Agujitas close to the mouth of the river. This guide will assist you already know what to anticipate. Gown appropriately and put on water/mountain climbing sandals, as a result of there’s a water crossing at one level – we extremely suggest a pair of Tevas for each women and men.
If you happen to’d like to go to San Josecito by horseback or boat, simply ask your lodging: they’ll know who to name and what to rearrange to get every thing arrange for you, and inform you what it can price.
- Actually simply loosen up, have a look at the view and take heed to the rain
Staying in a stupendous eco-resort is a large a part of why the journey to this a part of Costa Rica is so value it, so take full benefit!
All of the rooms on the Aguila de Osa Rainforest Lodge have an out of doors patio with gorgeous ocean views. Some have rocking chairs, others have hammocks.
We extremely suggest spending a day out on the patio, listening to the sounds of the tropical rainforest and simply stress-free. Bonus factors if you are able to do it throughout a heavy rain. Annnd I simply turned on my Spotify playlist once more…
There are additionally a couple of different actions you are able to do throughout your keep, together with zip lining, chook watching, visiting the native city, and mountain climbing to the seaside. Ask your lodging for different choices for those who’re !
Day 13 & 14: Return to San Jose and Fly House
Leaving Drake Bay is a little more sophisticated than the way in which you arrived, since at this level you’ve traveled fairly a methods from San Jose!
The simplest, quickest, and most enjoyable approach to get again is by taking a teeny tiny little aircraft (undoubtedly an journey in and of itself) from both Drake Bay or Palmar Sur. (Be aware that for those who fly out of Palmar Sur, you’ll must repeat the boat journey again from Drake Bay to Sierpe – the airport is about quarter-hour outdoors of Sierpe.)
You possibly can e book your flight by Sansa Airlines or Aerobell. If you happen to time issues good and your flight house is after 4PM or so, you possibly can go away immediately from San Jose when you arrive on the airport! (That additionally means you’ve an additional day for those who’d like so as to add time someplace on this itinerary.)
That stated: flying can be the most costly possibility.
A less expensive possibility is to take a shuttle again to San Jose. You’ll first hop again on the boat to Sierpe, then you definately’ll be taking the Costanera (Coast Highway) all the way in which again up the Pacific Coast earlier than turning inland to San Jose. The drive takes about 4.5 hours. If you happen to’re reserving this feature, ask your lodging for help or reserve a shuttle on-line on Bookaway.
The most affordable possibility is to take a public bus. You’ll first must take the ferry again to Sierpe, then a taxi to the bus station, the place you’ll board a bus to Quepos. From there, you’ll board a bus again to San Jose. You should use Rome2Rio to determine the precise route. It’s undoubtedly extra sophisticated, however for those who can pull it off, you’ll save a bunch of money.
Nevertheless, your essential problem is timing: buses from Sierpe to Quepos go away at 7:30 AM, however the boat from Drake Bay to Sierpe leaves at 7:15 AM, so that you gained’t make it – which means you’ll want to remain in a single day in Sierpe. And at that time, it’s in all probability value it to simply e book the dang shuttle. (We do that math each time we go to Costa Rica, and we all the time find yourself taking the shuttles!)
As a result of it takes fairly a while to get from Drake Bay to San Jose on the shuttle, we ended up needing to remain the evening in San Jose. If you happen to’re desperate to discover the town, e book your self a later flight or contemplate including an additional day – however we actually don’t suggest it.
We wished to spend as little time as attainable in San Jose, so we booked a reasonable place near the airport and an early morning flight. Sadly, the place we booked had some kind of reserving difficulty and turned us away on the door. We ended up having to stroll a number of blocks on foot with all of our baggage to a different close by resort to see if that they had room for us. And there was completely nothing round to do or see within the space, so we simply sat in our low-cost resort for the remainder of the day feeling unhappy about our journey ending. It was not the easiest way to finish a visit!
Finally, it could have been higher for us to remain in an space with extra accommodations and extra issues to do close by, even when it meant waking up earlier to take a taxi to the airport within the morning (our least favourite factor ever – we’re serial oversleepers).
Our freakish dangerous luck in all probability gained’t occur to you (we’re journey catastrophe magnets, it’s scientific truth) however nonetheless, we suggest staying in a extra walkable a part of city so that you not less than get some exploration in in your final evening and might say a correct goodbye to Costa Rica! We suggest reserving considered one of these budget-friendly apartments in downtown San Jose proper on Central avenue. It’s conveniently positioned inside strolling distance of a number of of the town’s greatest museums, together with the Jade Museum, the Costa Rica Nationwide Museum, and the Pre-Columbian Gold Museum. When you’ve got time earlier than your flight, decide one to discover!
- The way to Get to San Jose: The simplest, quickest, and most enjoyable approach to get again is by taking a teeny tiny little aircraft from both Drake Bay or Palmar Sur. You possibly can e book your flight by Sansa Airlines or Aerobell. If you happen to time issues good, you possibly can go away immediately from San Jose when you arrive on the airport! A less expensive possibility is to take a 4.5 hour shuttle again to San Jose; you possibly can reserve a shuttle on-line on Bookaway or ask your accomodation to assist make preparations.
- The place to Keep in San Jose: If you have to spend the evening in San Jose earlier than flying out, we suggest reserving considered one of these budget-friendly apartments in downtown San Jose.
Necessities to Pack for Costa Rica
- Bug Repellant: We take a two-pronged method to avoiding bug bites: Insect Repellant Lotion and handled clothes. Earlier than your journey, spray all the garments you’ll be bringing with Permethrin Spray, a bug repellent which adheres solely to materials, leaves no scent or residue on garments, and doesn’t hurt human pores and skin. Throughout your journey, slather all your unclothed pores and skin in lightweight Picaridin lotion. It’s extremely efficient, the protection of the lotion is MUCH higher than spray-on bug repellant (to not point out much less dangerous for the surroundings) and it doesn’t go away a gross oily residue in your pores and skin. Between these two repellants, we not often get bitten!
- Reef-Safe Sunscreen: It’s good to put on reef-safe sunscreen each time you go into the ocean. Reef-safe sunscreen is designed to biodegrade and never hurt marine life. Regular sunscreen bleaches coral and ensures humanity’s swift demise from local weather change. So please, for the love of society’s inevitable collapse, put on reef-safe sunscreen for those who’re going into the ocean! Be aware that though reef-safe sunscreen is all the time mineral, not all mineral sunscreens are reef-safe. Sunscreen should use “non-nano zinc oxide” particles to be reef secure(more details here). That is my favorite reef-safe sunscreen, and I take advantage of this lightweight sunscreen on my face. Higher but, deliver a rash guard so that you want much less sunscreen total!
- Swim Leggings: This itinerary entails a number of hikes and horseback rides to the seaside, which suggests you have to be carrying one thing that may dry shortly. Personally, my pores and skin chafes simply fascinated by carrying a moist swimsuit, so my go-to decide is swim leggings, that are mainly like leggings made out of swimsuit materials! They’re fast drying and very comfy to put on whereas moist (sure, you possibly can really hike in them even once they’re soaking moist). Plus, they supply glorious solar safety, so that you don’t want to fret about sunscreen even whenever you’re butt-up on a snorkeling tour. For extra info, head to the complete assessment of my favourite pair of sustainable swim leggings!
- Binoculars: Each tour information in Costa Rica could have a pair of binoculars or a large telescope. However then you need to share it between everybody else on the tour, and critters don’t like to face round ready for full viewers appreciation. So, stick some travel-friendly binoculars into your day-bag!
- Travel Towel: You’ll need to deliver a full-sized, quick-drying travel towel. Towels should not sometimes supplied on excursions, and also you’ll be going to a number of seashores!
- Teva Sandals (his & hers): Not solely are these rugged sandals comfy and rugged sufficient to stroll and hike for miles comfortably, however additionally they double as water shoes. They keep strapped tightly to your ft within the water and are good for journey sports activities like canyoning or rafting. Plus, they’re light-weight, sturdy, and legitimately cute!
- Rain Gear: From rainforests to cloud forests, you have to be ready for it to rain at any second! All the time hold an Extremely-Mild Rain Jackets (His & Hers) and a teeny tiny light-weight Travel Umbrella in your day bag, simply in case.
- Day Bag: Jeremy and I every carry a day bag on journeys. This cute backpack is ideal for some snacks, a few jackets, a travel umbrella, cameras, telephones, and no matter we want for the day. It additionally doubles as our lockable carry-on valuables bag whereas on transit, which is essential for security (by no means let your passport, digicam, or laptop computer out of your sight on journey days)! For extra lively days, we pack up a Camelbak Hydration Pack that matches 70oz of water along with all our gear. It’s good for hikes or exploring on sizzling days whenever you’ll want to remain additional hydrated!
We’ve obtained a ton extra packing ideas and particular recommendations in our Costa Rica packing list!
We’ve additionally created a FREE Printable Packing Checklist with every thing you have to plan your journey to Costa Rica. We’ll additionally ship you ideas that will help you put together in your journey! Simply enroll beneath.
Able to pack your luggage and take off for 2 weeks in Costa Rica? Do you’ve any questions on our Costa Rica 2 week itinerary? Drop us a remark beneath!
Psst: Take a look at a few of our different posts earlier than your journey: